Motor Vehicle FAQ’s

  • Did you sell or dispose of a Motor Vehicle are you going to sell or dispose of a Motor Vehicle?

If the answer is yes you must return or cancel your registration plates with the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) and obtain a plate receipt that you will need to provide to the Assessor’s Office along with proof of what happened to that Vehicle. This will allow us to either remove or prorate the Motor Vehicle. The bill you receive in July will be from Oct. 1st to the month of disposal.

Please click on Motor Vehicle - Standard Forms of Proof to see a list of accepted documents.

  • If you sold or disposed of a Motor Vehicle but transferred the plates to a new vehicle then it will be reflected in the billing.

For example:

You owned a 2010 Ford F150 on October 1, 2015, and sold that vehicle on December 21, 2015 and transferred the plates to a 2014 Chevy Silverado. You will get a bill for the 2010 F150 in July of 2016. The plate transfer and subsequent 2014 Chevy will be accounted for on the 2015 Supplemental List, and you will receive a supplemental bill in January, 2017. This supplemental bill will list the credit received for the 2014 F250 and will give you the net difference in the taxes owed between the two vehicles.  This can be quite confusing at times; especially if you transferred a plate to more than 1 vehicle in the grand list year that will give you a credit for what you paid on the 2010 vehicle towards the 2014 vehicle. Call our office if you have any questions or need any clarifications on your particular situation.