Absentee Ballot Information



Absentee ballots are available to eligible voters during the year for any election, primary or referendum, and are available through the Town Clerk's Office.

If a registered voter is unable to vote in person on Election Day, he or she may apply to the Town Clerk for an absentee ballot for any of the following reasons:  

  • My active service in the Armed Forces of the United States
  • My absence from my town of residence 
  • Sickness
  • My religious tenets forbid secular activity on the day of the election, primary or referendum 
  • My duties as a primary, election or referendum official at a polling place other than my own during all of the hours of voting 
  • Physical Disability 

The issuance of an absentee ballot is a two-step process. You may obtain an application at the Town Clerk’s Office or download one below if it is: for your own use, the use of a member of the your immediate family, or the use of someone you designate. If you wish to distribute five (5) or more absentee ballot applications to persons other than the your immediate family you must register with and obtain forms from the Town Clerk before distributing them. For more detailed information please see the Absentee Ballot Fact Sheet.

Application for Absentee Ballot - Each person who applies for an application must sign it with an original signature. (Parents cannot sign for their child or spouses for each other.) Hard copy with original signature must be received in the Town Clerk's office in order for your vote to count

Military personnel and persons temporarily living overseas may submit a Federal Post Card Application to register & apply for an Absentee Ballot.

Please mail all completed applications as soon as possible to:

Town Clerk
Haddam Town Hall
30 Field Park Drive
Haddam CT 06438

​After the completed application is returned to us, we will send a ballot and instructions to you as soon as State law allows, which is generally about a month prior to scheduled vote. We must receive the voted ballot back in our office by election day in order for the vote to count. 

The Town Clerk is responsible for supervising and distributing these ballots.
For more information, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at (860) 345-8531 Ext: 211 or 212, or the Registrar of Voter's Office at (860) 345-0979.

Absence or inability to vote in person does not mean that you must forfeit your right to vote!