Haddam/East Haddam Swing Bridge
Stay up-to-date on the Swing Bridge Rehabilitation Project by signing up for email alerts - Click here
For more information, visit https://easthaddamswingbridgeproject.com/
or text 888777 the word "SWINGBRIDGE" for cellular updates
(message and data rates may apply)
Swing Bridge Project Weekly Update: Construction Activities - Week of November 27, 2023
The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
- No Activities
- No Activities
- Crews will continue conduit install.
- Crews will prep for miscellaneous steel repairs.
- Crews will be working on temporary guide rail installation.
- Crews will continue bridge sidewalk installation.
Pier 1 & 2
- Crews will be working on miscellaneous pier repairs.
- Crews will be working on utility installs.
- Crews will be excavating in the river prepping for submarine cable install.
- Crews will be installing new submarine cable.
- Crews will be prepping for miscellaneous steel repairs.
- Crews will continue with bridge painting.
- NO 63-HOUR BRIDGE CLOSURE this week.
Overnight Bridge Closures:
- Monday night into Tuesday morning - 7pm to 6am.
- Tuesday night into Wednesday morning - 9pm - 6am
- Wednesday night into Thursday morning - 11pm - 6am
Any changes to these scheduled closures will be communicated.
- Single lane closures on Route 82 will occur Wednesday 11am-3pm and on Thursday & Friday from 9am - 3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- Starting on December 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024, the rehabilitation of the existing bridge requires a portion of the bridge to be closed, while providing only one lane of traffic for motorist. Temporary traffic signals will regulate the alternating traffic flow on the bridge. Motorists should expect some delays when crossing the bridge during this four-month period.
Effective December 1, 2023, the swing span will no longer open to marine traffic, openings will resume on April 1, 2024.
The Swing bridge is opening on signal (on the hour) for tall marine vessels.
Be advised that on days with high winds, there may be times when the swing span cannot safely open to boaters, when wind gusts are 35 mph or higher, swing span openings will be canceled. Mariners intending to pass through the bridge are encouraged to monitor the wind forecast on their navigation day.
The tide clearance boards are recommended as the best reference for gauging clearance at time of passage, the boards are located on the swing span pivot pier and the bulkhead at Goodspeed, both have been adjusted to reflect the vertical clearances to the contractor’s suspended scaffold.
Navigational beacons have been installed on the bridge to designate the channel.
Please be advised:
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- We are now sending TEXT Alerts for bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement has been scheduled with the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Project traffic CAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Additionally, inclement weather or construction related issues could cause cancellations of overnight bridge closures, we will communicate cancellations if they occur.
Traveling to/from the South – Use the signed detour utilizing the Baldwin Bridge (I-95 Old Saybrook).